Outpatient Clinic: Guidelines and Process
(Written by: Dr Steinberg, Dr Park, Chief Medical Residents, GMA and Departmental administrative leadership.)
Acceptable reasons for absence from Clinic:
1. Interview for fellowship position or future employment (documentation in the form of a forwarded e-mail of the invitation should be submitted to chief resident)
2. Orientation for fellowship/employment or need to move out of state for new positions (documentation of orientation dates must be submitted to the chief residents). Note: PGY-3 residents are being asked to schedule their vacation for the last two weeks in June as needed to obviate this problem, but certain exceptions may still remain and need to be accommodated.
3. Attendance at an out of hospital academic conference that has been approved by program directors and chiefs. Documentation required.
4. Resident is post night float, post overnight call from MICU/CCU
5.Death in family
6. Illness or leave of absence that has been approved by employee health or by a chief resident, and as needed by a program director.
7. Maternity and paternity leave, according to CHP policy.
8. Rotation on an “away elective” that is outside commuting distance to GMA
9. Resident on vacation, night float,MICU or CCU rotation
10. In-service Exam
Plan for when a GMA continuity clinic resident will be absent:
1. If a resident is unable to attend GMA for an approved reason, the Jeopardy Elective resident will be choosed by the chief resident for coverage. Those residents assigned to Jeopardy elevtive must be available and on call (pager and cell phone- ON.)
2. Ryan Nena requires 4 residents to be present at all clinic sessions, therefore if a Block resident is abosent then a Ryan Nena resident will called in for coverage.